Thursday 15 August 2013

Alien Baby Jazz


August 15, 2013

Overheard: An older gentleman sits alone sipping coffee and looking out the window. A young woman, frazzled, comes in with a baby in a stroller and sits next to him. The baby is shouting and banging loudly. The mom apologizes to the man but he says the sound “is like music to my ears,” and tells her about his wife “who has passed” and his children who are “much older than you I suspect.”

Where it took me: I’ve been trying to write something from this prompt for a while, but the result was very bland. So I took the scramble approach to see what would happen when I reorganized the straightforward telling of the story. I was extremely surprised at the musicality of the final version. I didn’t know that was in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment